quest for freelance wordpress developer

Quest For An Excellent Freelancer WordPress Developer: Part 2

In part 1, I outlined my assessment project for freelance developers, and where to find them, and how to filter them.  I’ve gotten some decent sounding prospects so it is time to see what they are made of!

My First Hire

The first hire was a gentlemen from Pakistan on Freelancer.com at an hourly rate of $8/hr — Webdevsolutionz.  He responded quickly and ensured me that he could do the assessment project in 4 hours.  Great!  I assigned him the project, gave credentials and went on.

The first hire in my search.

Less than 24 hours later, I got a Skype message from him.  I switched my screen to Skype excited to hear that the work was completed, only to find disappointment.  He was asking me to send him $100 through Western Union, and then he would refund me on Freelancer.  No.  Hell to the no.  I never heard from him again, and no work was ever done.

Freelance developer from Pakistan u to shenanigans….

Frustrated With Freelancer.com —> Upwork

At this point I was a little frustrated with Freelancer.com and decided to post the listing on Upwork.  There was a little bit more to in than frustration…. many of bloggers I follow who frequently hire VA’s seem to mention Upwork.  So I decided to give it a try.  This Time I hired with verocity — Jon Haver Style.  5 hires.

The next hire would be Amarjit.  He had good feedback, including Tim Ferris’s website in his portfolio (I never validated this) and communicated well.  He set off on the first task which was sorting out the ‘bug’ (a line of code I messed up in the wordpress theme files).  Although rather simple, it was difficult to find, and caused the website to look extremely distorted.  It took him a bit longer than expected, and with a little coaching from me as to the file it was in, he was able to get it fixed.

Maybe The Assessment Project Was A Little Too Difficult

Based on feedback (or rather lack of) I was receiving from prospective Freelancers, and Amarjit’s difficulty with finding and fixing the bug.  I began to rethink things.  The coding error I had placed in the assessment was A) intimidating, and B) a little unrealistic.  This type of error wasn’t reflective of typical WordPress tasks.  With that said, I decided to change the assessment.  I replaced the task of fixing the bug, with the task of implementing a new header bar from PSD to WordPress.  Check out the revised assessment project in the video below.

<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/JcbfaUjVOJA” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

With the assessment project revised, I hired 3 more people.  I also gave Amarjit the new task, in fairness to him.  Here’s the 3 new hires.  All with good feedback on Upwork.

We’ll find out, how they work out in part 3!

 

Founder of a home service / specialty trade contracting company (think patio's and deck) with a focus on customer experience. Quantitative investor. Data driven marketer. Runner.

Discuss this post with Corey Philip in the comments below